Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Cursed 8th Chapter

Hmmm…I don’t know why, but always when I hit the 8th chapter in a book I struggle, not exactly for words but to keep on going.

I don’t know why, since the story line is clear in my head, and on paper. I should have no trouble at all. 
Why always the 8th chapter? 
However, it’s not the first time this happened to me. It’s not writer’s block…more often than not it’s a moment were a few things should already come together and other’s should simmer some more, without suspense or reader’s interest decreasing. The characters want to move on, but sometimes they, too, have no idea where exactly it was they would like to go. It makes me feel as if suddenly trapped in the body of a surgeon and stuck with a lot of pointy and sharp tools in a stranger’s poor brain - without having the slightest clue what to do next.
So, I’m sitting here…8th chapter in black, fat letters on my screen…like a daring or a threat. The story is in a precarious situation – and needs a moment to dangle in the air, for the characters need a moment to take a deep breath before they have to dive into action.
How will I do this? Keep them up there on a kind of ‘pause’ without losing the action, the suspense, that tight moment where questions battle for answers that will come at the end? Well, first of all, I clear my mind, while writing this blog about my own precarious situation.Then I will get back to the book, and we’ll see.

No comments :

Post a Comment